Two Finished

I went to the dentist last week (6 month checkup, everything was good thankyouverymuch) and took along my Happy New Year socks to work on while I waited. When I pulled my shoe off in the waiting room to see if it was time to start the toe I realized how very close to done they were. So yesterday morning I finished them up – took all of about 30 minutes.


I’ve been knitting on my test knit, and on the LCK KAL. Here’s the one I can show you a picture of.


And today I finished the woven scarf I started last week.


It’s not quite finished yet because I haven’t washed it.


I’d like to get another scarf or two done before I take them up to the group.

Posted in Charity, Finished Objects, Scarves, Socks, Weaving | 1 Comment


Focus? What’s that?

New snood (aka cowl) on the needles. It’s a KAL with Lost City Knits, out of my favorite Foothills Fingering yarn. The pattern is by Donna Smith, and it’s called the Shallmillens Snood.


I have done more work on the Curl. It’s easy to do, I’ve just gotten distracted.


Please ignore the crumby table.

I’ve been wanting to weave, and today I got started. With all the news this week about the spew from the Republican nominee, I thought something for Threads of Compassion was appropriate. So I’ve been working on a scarf to donate.


Also working on a test knit, which I obviously can’t post a picture of.

Posted in Charity, Cowls, Scarves | 2 Comments

A Whole Lotta Garter Goin On

I finished the Match Maker, and it’s been through the washer and dryer and has done the usual magical Wollmeise transformation from stringy to squishy soft goodness.


I’m not presentable to model it, but maybe some time in the next couple of weeks I’ll remember to get some pictures taken before I change after work.


I also started a Ten Stitch Wave the other night out of some hand spun that’s one of my earliest projects.


I decided that was too narrow, so I ripped it and started a wider one.


And now I’m thinking it’s too wide, but I haven’t decided for sure yet.

I also started a Curl out of Hunter Hammersen’s new book, Curls 2. This one is Equivocation.


Originally I was going to use the purple hand spun for one of these patterns, but it’s really not plied tightly enough to look good.

Posted in Cowls, Finished Objects, Scarves | 2 Comments

Cleaning Up

When we bought the generator and got the house wired last spring, we didn’t expect to need it in the middle of August. But need it we did last Thursday. We were under a little microburst that knocked out power for almost four hours. Jim got the genset spun up before I got home so I was able to open the garage and come on in like normal. House was a little warm because the genset won’t support the AC, but at least we had lights and fridge and all that stuff. The sweet gum out back didn’t fare so well.


Jim is standing between what got blown out of the tree and what we cut out to try to bring it back into some semblance of order. Our 35-40 foot tree is now 15-20. We’re hoping it makes it because we like having the shade, but it’s been losing limbs to ice and wind pretty regularly for the last couple of years. We’ll see.

I also cleaned up a couple of WIPs. The first is The Yarn Mama socks. They’re soft and cushy and I’m looking forward to wearing them next week.


AND – big one here – I got the Wine Garden blocked today.


That’s 146 pins over a 68″ diameter. I measured at least 80% of the points from the center out.


I’m really in love with the Vines and Leaves pattern. And I’m glad I went ahead and knit the last round in the grey I used for the border. I have no idea how I’ll wear the huge thing, but I really really love it.

This afternoon I started spinning one of my STB projects. This is some carded CVM/Romeldale. It’s still got a little bit of lanolin in it, and I’m enjoying it. Working on my long draw technique, and I can absolutely see some improvement in my consistency.


Plus I really love playing with my Mini Spinner. 🙂

Next weekend is Labor Day. Yay!

Posted in Finished Objects, Kailyard, Scarves, Socks, Spin the Bin 2016, Spinning, Wine Garden | 3 Comments

There’s Only One Thing To Say

The knitting





Blocking next week. That’s a king sized bed for scale.

Posted in Finished Objects, Kailyard, Wine Garden | 3 Comments